This is a man who should have been an inspiration to people. A man who was legally blind able to rise through the political ladder. Instead, he is commonly joked about in our state. He should, however be recognized for the move he made earlier this week.
I meant to write about my dislike for what has been happening in Albany since it started 16 days ago. Drum Corps and other things have kept me from that and for that I apologize. I think what is happening in Albany is incredibly embarrassing for our state. Sure the Republicans started it, but both sides deserve blame in this situation. We are seeing men we elected, not too mention our taxes pay, acting like children. In fact, I take that back. With the way they are arguing, bickering, locking eachother out, and turning the lights off on eachother, I can honestly say that I have seen better behaved Kindergarten classes.
Rather we like it or not, the only people losing from this are you and I. We, the citizens of New York state are being screwed by these childish senators. While these children fight, there are important bills that will effect you and I sitting on the table of the senate. Bills that effect our children's education, who we can marry, and how much we pay in taxes.
There are other officials who could step in on the situation. Take, for example, our assemblyman Gary Finch. He has been in the service of the state for years. Instead of working for us, however, he is writing letters to CBS trying to get Letterman thrown off the air. Then he tries to say he was "doing it for his constituents" without even asking them their thoughts. Guess what? Your constituents don't care about a late night talk show host! They care about seeing their wants looked into by their elected officials.
Enter Governor David Patterson. A few days ago, David Patterson passed legislation forcing the state senate to meet extra days now that the regular sesson is over. The children are finally being punished. Perhaps it will help. As of today's news it did nothing. There was still fighting and lights being turned off on eachother. On the otherhand, at elast both sides are meeting together. Perhaps soon we will see them figure out a way to represent us. Until then, we wait, and we read of the idiotic exploits of our state government. I know this will not clear Governor Patterson completely of his blame. At the same time, people should applaud him for trying to get some handle on the situation.

No comments:
Post a Comment