Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The History Channel Not Living Up To Its Name

Some people believe there is a Bigfoot.  Others say that they were abducted by aliens.  Thats all well and good.  Let people believe what they will.  But do shows about this really belong on the History Channel?  When I look at the average programming schedule for the channel as of late, I see shows that are mostly about these topics.  It is a trend I have been noticing over the last few years.
As a kid, I remember when we first got this channel.  It always seemed liek they had a show about World War Two.  As Homer Simpson put it in an episode of the "The Simpsons": "The Luftwaffe is the Washington Generals of the History Channel."  In those days I felt like it was all that was on.  I felt like they needed more.  Now, I would kill for more shows on World War Two.
As time went on and I became a Civil War Buff, the History Channel seemed to cater to me.  Every Tuesday morning, before school, I got to watch two episodes of Civil War Journal.  This was also coupled with great shows on Lincoln and specific battles.  The best part is that some of the men that I watched on these shows are now professors that I have gotten to know while at college in Gettysburg.  
Slowly but surely, however, the History Channel began to change.  Sure, a show about what happened in Roswell in 1949 is okay when it comes up on the anniversary.  However, when "The UFO Files" entered the normal TV lineup, that is when things seemed to begin to go downhill.  Let us look at what is now currently on the History Channel.  
"Life After People"- The premise of the show is interesting.  How would animals, buildings and other systems survive if people mysteriously dissappeared.  The problem is that it is a hypothetical thing that hasn't occured yet.  Shouldn't it be on The Future Channel or something like that.  It isn't history...Hell it hasn't even happened yet!
"Ice Road Truckers"- A reality show.  It is a reality show on the History Channel.  The worst part is that it is, essentially, a knock off of "Deadliest Catch" but not as good.  I respect these guys and that their job is dangerous.  It just does not seem like a show meant for this channel to me.
"Axmen"- Yet another reality show.  Only a few weeks before this one premiered, Discovery Channel aired a show with a similar premise.  I just don't get reality shows on History Channel.
To be honest, I would love to see it all back to normal.  There was one day near the beginning of this month that it seemed to return to normal.  The shows all followed a maritime history theme.  It was nice.  A show about the ships of the Revolution.  Another about Civil War navies.  The next on the Titanic.  Not a single reality show.  Why can't it be like this more often? 
Cheers,
Nick in Gettysburg

No comments:

Post a Comment